If you take all the fat out of a macaroni and cheese dish you’re left with noodles. So while not fat free, this is definitely fat reduced by replacing heavy cream with milk, and some of the cheese with cottage cheese. Some dishes just never lose their charm, like this one.
3/4 cup(s) milk -- regular or reduced fat
1 1/2 cup(s) cottage cheese
1 1/2 cup(s) cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup(s) parmesan cheese -- shredded or granulated
1/4 cup(s) bread crumbs -- dry, fine
1 lb(s) elbow macaroni
Prep Work: Shred cheeses and store separately. Cook noodles.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. Gently heat milk on low heat in saucepan. Add cottage and cheddar cheeses and stir until melted completely.
3. Remove saucepan from heat, add nutmeg, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
4. Drain noodles and pour into saucepan with cheeses. Mix together, then pour all into 2 quart baking dish.
5. Top with Parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake 15 min., or until liquid is bubbly. ( Will continue to dry out the longer it is in the oven, so don’t over bake.)
Extra Cheese: For enthusiastic cheese eaters, put more cheddar on top with the parmesan and bread crumbs.
(adapted from “Everydayhealth.com : Low-fat Macaroni and Cheese”)